Thursday, August 7, 2008

Being His Wife

Maybe it's that in the 4 years we've lived together I've never filled up my windshield wiper fluid. Or that I can only remember cleaning out my own car once, maybe twice.

Maybe it's because when I take the trash down to the garage he always looks at me and says "I was going to do that". And he really was because it's been weeks or even months since I had to do it last.

Or that when he has to go to the laundry room to get a clean pair of boxers I feel a guilt in my gut like I just ran over his childhood cat.

Perhaps it's that I rarely fill up my own gas tank or that he actually says things to me like "you can't put a price on comfort or health".

I kind of think it has something to do with the fact that I never think about bills, ever. Or that one time he pulled up and saw those detestable Fred Phelps protesting asswipes and when he did he called one of them over to his car and then promptly spit on him.

Sometimes I reflect on how he's always said he's sorry when he's been wrong, even when I haven't. It could be the way I can see the intense look of love in his eyes in our wedding pictures. I can look at them and remember how he carefully formed every word of our vows and looked into my soul when he said them.

Or that I just told him that I recognize that I'm a spazz and I don't know how he puts up with me and his response was "you're pretty, that's how." And he would say that if I was bed headed, de-make-upped and reeking of my own morning breath.

Whatever it is after 12-years of knowing him he still surprises me, loves me and gives me goosebumps when he kisses my neck and I still find myself feeling fluttery and excited to get home to him. It doesn't hurt that we manage to help the other grow as a person just a little bit more every day.

11 comments:

KaritaG said...

that's how I feel about my hubs too! super lucky and like he just makes me a better person.

sometimes I miss him while I am at work and can't wait to go home and hang out. serious.

you are lucky!

Anonymous said...

Awww.....how fricken sweet!!! I love it.

PS? This is how I feel about Jimmy, too :)

Bimbo Baggins said...

ugh, this is just TOO sweet.

You're so lucky!

Bimbo Baggins said...

and so is he!!!

Briana A.K.A. Breezy said...

That was so nice! You are very lucky!

Pam said...

What a great way to spend your life- and you have certainly paid your dues and earned this kind of happiness. Yeah for the two of you!

Anonymous said...

Awww.....that's so cute!!!!!

I feel the same way about my man.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I feel that way about my husband too.

Captain Steve said...

That sounds nice, dude. Like, really, really nice.

Robyn said...

That was awesome. And I know EXACTLY how you feel. Aren't we lucky?